Monday, September 16, 2013

Be kind to yourself, don't forget your voice.

In the past year I have taken some courses that basically remind a girl to be good, to be kind, to ourselves.  For me to be kind, to me.  Of course, being kind to others is part of life's responsibilities if you want to be a good person, one cannot be without the other.  You cannot be kind to yourself AT the expense of others but sometimes you have to be good to yourself and others have to accommodate you in that.  Just how it is. 

I am not good at it.  Trust me I am not.  I will cut off a limb, hand it to you, bleeding out and say, "see what I did there, now you will be kind to me right?"  Cutting off your own limb to get another to like you?  That's not only not kind, in that you've removed a limb, but hey now OUCH.  You need to like yourself enough you need not to have to worry about everyone else. How to save a limb, Class 101.

In keeping with all this, I decided I needed to stop picking at my hands, biting my fingers, biting my nails, pick pick pick.  None of those OCD like behaviours are kind to myself.  Solution?  Bandage all one's fingers much like Michael Jackson and hope no one's close by with Propofol. 

Too soon?

The real solution?  Why it's regular mani pedis of course! 

That will help the aforementioned afflictions and its a way to be kind to myself without the whole dying too young part I am not good with.  I now give myself the time every few weeks to get them both done.  And if you find the right place that's just clean enough, you can get it done dirt cheap.  Some places even sell you a set of nail equipment just for you, and will store it for you as well!  No share-zies for this OCD girl!  Because my nails, much like my Cousin IT hair, grow like mad, I could go in, every two weeks.  But, that's beyond being nice to myself, that's being a princess and I don't look good in crowns.  It's just not my look.  Once a month it is.

Much like the picture I rock a beret not a tiara.

I put a set of gel tips on about two months ago.  My nails had been bitten down, a lot.  And I now have my own nails.  It's been about 7 weeks and I have nails well past the end of my finger, the tip has grown off and I can get gel put on my nails now only.  Everything, including my ba'hind, grows like this.  Just really fast.  I am sure it means I am healthy as a horse OR, I was in fact bitten by a science experiment spider once and these features are my spidey strengths.  Either or.

I was a little upset this week as getting the gel applied to my beautifully long nails the manicurist ended up shortening my natural nails.  The guy I normally see was busy so I was seeing his wife who spent the entire time on the phone not asking me one single question about ma' nails.  There I was all proud how long they were and before I could say "wait" she had filed one off enough I could only follow with the others or fear looking like a backwards coke dealer.  9 long, one pinky short.  A coke dealer with a coke problem requiring 9 nails versus the normal 1.  I jumped in as quickly as I could when the phone went down and said "please stop filing them any shorter!"  In turn I got back, "you strict". 

In short ladies, even when you are being kinder to yourself and doing these things just for you, find your voice.   You can't always expect others to read your minds.  You might end up disappointed.  You need say what you want and how you want it.  If you can do it in the bedroom you can do it in the nail salon!

Thankfully it's just my nails so give me a day or two, my nails will be ZaZa Gabore length in no time flat.  Besides for now, they are looking pretty in pink polka dots.



No comments:

Post a Comment