Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Movement, lube and M&Ms. Curious?

I wrote this a few months ago.  Correlation yes.  Insightful, certainly.

"I screwed up my shoulder a couple of weeks ago when I took a header in my garage.  When added to my existing back issues, and my noodle being askew, well I have just been miserable.  It's all on the mend, it just takes time".  

It took two weeks to recover.  I was miserable.  

Now insert here from about a month ago. 

"I tried a work out that was a little outside my reach and went for it balls to the wall, all in, and hurt my back".  

It took a week to recover.  I was miserable. 

And finally, insert here from last week.  "I weeded my parents yard and my back did surprisingly well.  Then the bed broke (long story) and I had to sleep on the couch.  Thereby aggravating my back".
  
It's taken a few days to recover.  I've been miserable.


The good news here is the recovery time!  See it shrinking?  Cause I do.  I am good with finding the silver lining.  

The common denominator was misery. 

The pain was making me feel miserable but so was the lack of movement.  In fact, I think they were equal in their misery creation.  I haven't worked out, a real workout, since I got home a few days ago and I can feel the misery climbing.   
  
I know that not exercising perpetuates "my issues".  My body isn't getting "oil" as I like to say.  Movement lubricates the joints.  My mind isn't getting the much needed endorphins.  When I was in a mental health facility in 2014, movement was part of the daily schedule.  There were classes you were required to participate in.  There is a reason for that.  

Like me, you probably find yourself saying, "I can't, I hurt too much.  I am too sore and miserable".  And to that I say this (hang on to something); 

I have a bone spur, tendonitis, and bursitis in my right shoulder.  My pelvic bone is badly rotated to the right and forward.  My SI joint barely moves.  My hip and femur aren't lined up well (whatever that means).  Plus the area is hyperextended so I can stretch until the cows come home and get little to no release.  Which also means I have no stability there.  All of this causes pain.  I have an L5 S1 disc herniation and bulging discs above and below that.  I have sciatic nerve pain down the right leg and that leg is almost always cramped.  My reflexes aren't as fast in the injured leg even though it's the dominant leg.  So I fall, a lot.  See the aforementioned "header in the garage".  I have had both of these injuries, the back and shoulder, since I was in an accident when I was 17.  I go to an Osteopath weekly.

I have been battling with mental illness since I was young.  I can't remember a time where my emotions were not an "issue".  My moods change rapidly, sometimes due to my environment and sometimes for no other reason than my mind is wired that way.  I go to a psychologist weekly.  

I have menopause.  As with most women, I've gained weight because of it.  Helping nothing.  And I have multiple hot flashes a day because of "the change".  So not only am I a big girl now but I sweat like a large farm animal lounging in the desert in Mexico...in August.  In all honesty, getting my sweat on is the last thing I want to do.  Shit, sweating any more than I already do is not what I want to encourage this body to do. 

*whew*  That was a mouthful.  If anyone has reason to just stay the fuck in bed it's me.  

And yet that said, without a doubt, movement makes me feel better.  Pretty much every one of the issues listed above gets better with movement.  Please understand that I am not preaching ultimate fitness, diet, or anything even remotely close to that.  And I am not lecturing.  I don't begin to know your circumstances.  I haven't walked in your shoes.  I don't know you, or your story.   

All I can say is for me, movement is key.  It's a distraction on a bad day.  It releases endorphins in my brain which makes the mental illness symptoms ease up a bit.  It lubricates my joints making them feel better.   

Are you sure a nice walk wouldn't help?  Would it hurt to try?  As much as I hate myself for saying it, I highly recommend it.  I’d rather be eating M&Ms, trust me.  Sometimes, I do both.



































No comments:

Post a Comment