Wednesday, June 29, 2016

And that's how it's done people, total control.

I want applause.  I deserve it.  

This morning at Tim Hortons I stood patiently in line behind two women.  One advanced to the counter on the right leaving me and another woman in line.  In strode a woman who appeared to be about 55 years old, maybe older.  She looked at me straight in the eye and went directly to the counter on the left and began ordering.  

After I came to from blacking out I said loudly, "uhhhhmm excuse me?"

She looked me in the eye again and said “yes?", very sarcastically, then turned her back to those of us in line and her attention back to ordering.  

Okay maybe I missed something I thought.  Maybe my blacking out didn't get her attention and alert her to the fact there was two women waiting in line.  Maybe this wasn't clear.  "Try again Nicolle, stop being so dramatic", I said to myself in my now barely conscious brain.  "Get a grip gurl", I thought in judgement about my own temper.  

Trying again, maintaining Canadian politeness, I said, "pardon me but there is a line".

She replied with, "I KNOW, I saw that".

Damned if I didn't black out again.  The floors in there are not clean for the record.  

"We are waiting in line", I said louder pointing furiously and frantically at myself and the woman ahead of me who, lucky for her, was advancing to the other service counter but not before tossing me back a look that said clearly, "I am as stunned as you are". 

"I have someone waiting", said Miss Line Bud'der gesturing outside angrily. 

And I snapped.

"I don't care if Jesus himself is waiting for you, you GET IN LINE like the rest of us", I said.

The Tim Hortons employee then spoke up and said to her, "ma'am I cannot serve you until I have served this woman first".

AND Mrs. Bud'der then said, (*breathe*), OMG she actually said, "FINE, serve her then!" pointing at me aggressively.  

I think there is an outline on the floor where I passed out for the third time. 

It took every ounce of my strength to approach the counter and order my coffee as I stood within inches of the woman.  Who, by the way, refused to move aside so I could comfortably order and pay.  I had to step around her to get my coffee.  By this time the entire store was staring and most of them were shaking their heads in total amazement at what they were seeing.  Looking back I think they were amazed I hadn't killed her.  

Standing amongst these customers was a woman with her young son (I assume), probably 10 years old.  I looked at the mother and stammered, "I am totally stunned, I can't.....I don’t….unbelievable".  She shook her head and smiled almost forgivingly at me for this woman's behaviour.  Then I looked at the little guy with a smile and said, "not one swear word kid, NOT ONE".....and I high fived him followed by, "YAY ME!" 

I walked out pretty proud of myself.  

In all honesty, I might have curled into the fetal position in my car for a few minutes to prevent myself from following the woman home.  But still, "yay me!"  $87,352 in a lifetime of therapy costs at work folks.  




















No comments:

Post a Comment