Friday, July 11, 2014

Diary of a Bi Polar Woman DBPW Day(s) 122, 123, 124 - My Incarceration


Friday in the Mental Health Unit was a bit of a blur (if you find that sentence confusing, go back three blog entries and start from there).  Because I caused such a scene on entry (see my “breakout attempt) and was so worked up the doctor had ordered 2 mg of Ativan to calm me down.  Ativan is a commonly used anti-anxiety medication.  Where a person would normally take 0.05 mg when having a full on panic attack I was given again, 2 mg!  I still had the overdose in my system, add in the Ativan and wham, instant nap time.  I fell asleep still crying about being there.  I was awoken by Nurse Ratchet asking if I was going to eat with the other inmates Friday night for dinner.  “Uhhhhh no!” I shockingly exclaimed (I am no inmate!), *insert pout here*, “I am not hungry”, *pout*.  She reminded me that my one of my Bi Polar medications required that I eat 250 calories minimum.  I reminded her I didn’t give a rat’s ass.  She reminded me that my husband, being that it was in fact my actual 44th birthday (Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me….sing along if you will), had brought me a chocolate cake into the Loonie Bin.  I am aware that’s not a politically correct wording for the Mental Health Unit but I am allowed to say that as an official inmate.  I reminded Nurse Ratchet that I had better birthdays in my lifetime and perhaps the other inmates would like the cake as sure as fuck I wasn’t eating it.  “Throw it away for all I care”, *insert another pout here*, I said.  And finally Nurse Ratchet reminded me why I named her Nurse Ratchet when she explained that my attitude wasn’t going to help my “situation”.  “This time, and this time only” she warned me, she would allow me to have Ensure to drink for dinner but that I would have to come to the Nurse’s Station for my medication like a “big girl”.  I am sure she was calling me chunky there.  I am sure of it.  I didn’t come out of my room again that Friday.  Another nurse, a nice nurse, brought me my medication when I didn’t show up in the medication line up at the nurse’s station.  Apparently Nurse Ratchet had enough of me by then. 

I have to say for a system that is broke, the facilities weren’t as bad as I expected.  I am sure the flat plastic covered pillows are because of lice, and fleas and other things that make me shudder in my sleep to this day.  It had a pillow case over it, that’s pretty good right?  I quickly had Dan bring my Tempurpedic pillow from home.  I am a pillow snob admittedly.  The sheets were thread bare but soft enough over the hard plastic of the thin flat mattress.  They provided a cotton throw like blanket that admittedly I found comforting.  It was very “family cottage” like.  I wonder if they planned that?  I still had Dan bring me my favorite blanket too.  I needed comforts from home.  I was lucky as the room I was in was private, with its own ensuite half bathroom (toilet and sink).  I suppose for those that come in from a homeless place, the place was bliss.  Think about that.  To them, the place would be heaven just because it had a roof over it.  Your own bed and pillow, imagine the luxury! 

When I was told Saturday by the nurse that breakfast was there, I realized the kid gloves were off and I had to fend for myself.  Off I went to the kitchen.  There I found a mobile cupboard filled with labeled trays.  I found mine and took the furthest corner away from everyone and the closest seat to the exit.  I still didn’t want to be shivved, we were inmates after all!  I have watched Orange is the New Black and Oz you know. 

Once seated I looked up and immediately caught the eyes of “Twitchy”.  She was a lovely looking woman, older, in her 50s likely, cropped hair, dressed nice, electronic cigarette always in hand and a sort of twitch like manner to her movements, hence the name.  She immediately smiled and said, “Hello, welcome”.  I mumbled “Hi” back and looked to her right where I met eyes with “Jumpy”.  A doe eyed youngster who looked like she was trying to leap out from her own skin.  She was so young or so it appeared to me.  No more than 20 in all likelihood.  Once she caught my eye she said, “Just so you know, when I got here, I made a much worse scene than you did, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about, nothing”.  Well I wasn’t embarrassed Jumpy, not until you reminded me to be.  Least you out did me, I will hang onto that I thought.  Does that mean you kicked the door in an attempt to free it of its locks too?  I didn’t ask.  I mumbled, “Thanks” and put my head back down with tears of embarrassment in my eyes.  God help me I want to go home I thought to myself.  I can’t be here.  I don’t belong here.  I am not sick.  Am I?

As I sat there watching people out of the corner of my eye I was able to quickly nickname them all.  Is that rude?  Call me rude then because I needed to do something to pass the time during meals and this was my way of coping I guess.  I made up little stories in my head about the folks.  We had a lady who looked like she’d been homeless but was well on her way to health save for the entire row of missing teeth up top.  I called her Gappy (I know I know).  Then there was Grampy.  An old fella, who probably had dementia of some kind.  Lovely old man, struggling to open and lift things.  Jumpy, Twitchy and Gappy all seemed to have a soft spot for him.  They assisted him a great deal during meals. 

During my first meal Gappy introduced herself and gave me the breakfast low down.  There were rules people, rules.  She had gone searching for spare food on the mobile cupboard asking all if they’d seen the extra coffee.  Apparently the kitchen sent in a tray of extras but if you don’t claim it quick enough others will eat it.  And one kid had a problem with stealing food so you always had to make meal time ON time or else you risked losing your food to him.  And finally, “Should I not like anything, I should leave it in the center of the table for others to have”, she said.  I mean there was no sense in wasting good food or drink, especially coffee which she “loved the most”.  I got all that WITHOUT making eye contact, imagine had I made eye contact?  She might have moved into my room!

Now that we have the meal rules down pat I can get back to my characters.

There was Shuffles.  This kid was 6 feet tall, maybe 130 pounds.  If he was 20, I’d be surprised.  Rail thin.  Long stringy greasy hair.  Black homemade tank top (sleeves ripped off t-shirt), black jeans, and shower caps on each foot (yes, shower caps).  His pants were rolled over at the waist.  I assumed the belt was taken.  Why he had no shoes I have no idea.  He was a little stinky.  His room was next to mine so I kept my door closed all the time.  He really was quite potent.  I can only assume he was schizophrenic because he didn’t speak.  He looked at you as if you maybe weren’t there.  He was the food stealer.  He’d walk in circles around the table and kitchen area and just slip a hand down and grab food right off your tray if your head was turned.  Personally if that happened I am pretty sure I’d have given him my tray.  He wasn’t the cleanest soul therefore touching ma’ stuff would no longer make it ma’ stuff, “It’s yours, here ya’ go”.  I was kind of surprised that my room was right next to Shuffle’s on one side of me and Gramp’s on the other.  There was no, “girls space”, “boys space”.  Besides the shared rooms where the sexes were kept apart, it was a free for all.

And free for all I think it was.  Jumpy was very touchy feely with another inmate I called Cusack.  He kind of reminded me of a young John Cusack in The Sure Thing.  Save for the cutting scars running up and down his arms.  Broke my heart.  He too was only in his 20s, early 20s.   I wondered quietly if Cusack and Jumpy were an item.  There was a whole lot of hands brushing each other’s backs and backs of chairs etc.  Even though Jumpy was on her second marriage and had two kids I heard, me thinks perhaps they were finding solace in each other’s personal space behind the nurse’s back.  I was told on arrival that interpersonal relationships on the “ward” were strictly prohibited.  Shuffles and I never even got our relationship off the ground before the hierarchy quashed it*sigh*. 

Then we had Dad.  He looked like every Dad you see, everywhere.  At breakfast he arrived in a t-shirt, pajama bottoms, Dad slippers, and a tartan terrycloth robe.  He looked like the average Joe.  Tanned, healthy, announcing he had a really good Day Pass day.  He seemed to be in great spirits and ready to take on the world.  Why was he there I wondered quietly to myself?  He looked like he had it all together, whatever “all” is.   Do you know what “all together” looks like?  Describe.

And finally, Baller.  He was a late 20s heavy set kid who walked from one end of the ward to the other, non-stop.  He wore his shorts al a Justin Bieber (too low on his hips), high tops undone, and sleeveless basketball shirts.  He never sat down for longer than scarfing down a meal.  He would often come into the TV room (yes I ventured out of my room later in the week), and he would only sit for a count of three (I counted).  Then he would continue on his walk to nowhere much like Shuffles.  He would rotate from having his sunglasses on his forehead to having them on his actual eyes.  Those fluorescent lights are blinding I tell ya’.  At one point Dan came to visit and as the Ward doors closed automatically behind him, Baller jumped out the small gap in the doorway sideways.  To escape I guess?  The nurses were all over it and quick to grab him.  He immediately burst out with, “The voices made me do it”.  I wondered about all the walking.  I guess it was like his brain wouldn’t stop talking so he was trying to walk the voices away.  I can’t even imagine.

That was the bulk of those in the ward (the “loonie bin” as you know I like to refer to it as) with me.  The “inmates” as I like to refer to them.  I only HAD to stay for 72 hours as mandated by law but most of us had ultimatums from our families, friends, or even doctors like I did.  I think some of them choose to stay to get healthy, get sober.  As I mentioned, my doctor ordered 5 days after my arrival Friday so that I would be there Monday through Wednesday and get both individual and group therapy each day.  I know for me, the doctor needed to assure that my medications were balanced again and my mood stabilized.  For some of the others I think they needed to get over the hurdle of addiction, in many cases, pain medication!  Surprise, surprise.

I kept to myself Saturday and most of Sunday.  Venturing out only to eat really.  As I mentioned Dan thankfully brought me all my “stuff” Saturday morning.  My pillow, blankie (yes that’s right, I have one), shower supplies and loads of water, bottled water.  I hid all my water in my room and filled up hospital travel mugs they provided so as to not look snobby.  Remember I was avoiding being shivved at all costs.  I wanted to appear as though I was one of the “peeps”, just one of the “homies”, no stand out behaviour here except the attempted breakout on arrival.  I was happy to hear that was common place. 

Saturday and Sunday were hard days.  My psychiatrist was not on all weekend obviously so there no therapy.  Funnily enough he did come in and check on me.  I was surprised at that, on a weekend no less.  That’s a pretty dedicated guy to visit a bunch of loons such as us on his free time.  Either he’s dedicated or has no life.  I am opting for dedicated.  Because it was the weekend there was no group therapy either.  There was in short, nothing to do. I was a little bitter about having to be there when there was no benefit to me therapeutically but I supposed I kind of needed to be somewhere safe didn’t I?  Breakfast was at 830am and lights out was 10pm.  Basically you spent 13 ½ hours confined to a space no larger than a banquet hall with the same people.  Thankfully I was exhausted so I slept on and off for the entire two days.  I was typically called to meals because I would have fallen asleep.  My body was working so hard to expel all the drugs I had taken it was physically exhausted and mentally, I was wiped.  It was all so surreal being there, what happened.  One minute I was down and the next I was in the hospital.  It was all so fast.    

I had decided in the ICU that all the prescription drugs I had legitimately been prescribed were done.  I was going to sober up.  Not that I was ever technically stoned or high but I was taking way too many drugs, even if prescribed by my physicians.   There was Percocets for chronic back pain, Valium when I couldn’t sleep or calm down, muscle relaxants at night to help my back relax for sleep.  All of them needed to stop and stop I decided to do while in the hospital.  I could have easily asked for renewal on the prescriptions but when asked what I wanted, I said no thanks.  No more.  I was taking back my life.  I wasn’t going to be a slave to them anymore and I was scared to be honest.  Having the filled prescriptions at home gave me an ability to hurt myself, an ability I wouldn’t have otherwise had.  I didn’t want that risk available to me anymore. 

I had quite a few visitors all weekend.  That did help kill the time.  I guess because of what happened people needed to ensure themselves I was in fact, alright.  Still me.  My husband visited quite a few times, my best friend Brenda, my brother, and my parents, (my Dad and Step Mom).  I didn’t really want visitors, I can’t lie.  I was quite grumpy about being stuffed into the joint, but I knew what I had put them through, they deserved to see I was recovering well.  I also knew I needed to be there to have my meds re-balanced.  Didn’t make me any less grumpy.  That would be using common sense.  I refuse to act accordingly often.  Just because I know something is right doesn’t mean I have to agree does it?

I hope I haven’t offended anyone with my nicknames and “Loonie Bin” talk.  It’s my way of making a dark situation lighter.  It’s how I survive sometimes with darkness.  I joke.  I jest.  I make light of a bad situation.  I also would never describe these people full on, or use their actual names.  I wouldn't dare.  While it may not seem like it, I respect(ed) each and every person in the MHU for their personal journey, their personal battle.  For each of us have our own to deal with.  All I know is as I played the card game Crazy Eights with Jumpy and announced to all the irony of playing that particular game where we were, I got a hell of a lot of laughs.  I hope you can find humour in the darkness along with me.

For the record, I shall be known as Grumpy, Bitchy, or Loud Mouth from now until forever.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment