Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Diary of a Bi Polar Woman DBPW Day 121 - I am so blessed, I just couldn't see it

I’ve said this before and I will say it again, I don’t write this stuff for attention.  I write this because sometimes shit needs to be said.  I feel like this needs to be said.  Only some of you know what happened to me recently.

Monday June 2nd was my last posting for Diary of a Bi Polar Woman.  I was in a pharmaceutically induced horrid downward Bi Polar rapid cycling low that I had not seen or experienced before.  I didn’t think writing about it was helping me at all.  I thought I was perpetuating it.  I ended my Diary.

I am commencing it again now and will write only as I feel I have something to say.  I have something to say today.  I need the stigma of mental illness to be gone, in my lifetime, so I tell you this story.   

Thursday June 5th, one day before my 44th birthday, only 3 days after ending my Diary, I attempted to end my life.    

I know what you are all thinking.  “How could you?  You are so bright.  You have a beautiful life, family, and friends that love you.  How selfish?  Your dog even, you love that dog?  How could you?”

Let me tell you what a person who is about to take their own life is thinking about, PAIN. 

I used to think the same as you, “selfish ass, you took the easy way out”.  I couldn’t feel any more different about it now.  I am shocked at how different I feel. 

There is nothing easy about attempting to take your own life.  The pain is insurmountable.  It’s unexplainable.  Until you experience that kind of pain you cannot speak to what kind of act suicide is, you simply cannot.

When the pain started again that fateful day I knew the medicine change wasn’t working and I wasn’t sure where the bottom could possibly be.  I thought I was there.  Every part of me hurt, every bone, every fibre, every part of my heart and soul, my brain was on fire.  Without thinking really, I began by removing all my jewellery so as to not have it cut or lost by medical staff.  I didn’t even realize why I was doing it.  I made sure the dog was fed and had cookies.  I took him outside for a walk. I knew my husband would be home in time to care for him that early evening.  All was taken care of.  I made the bed neatly, turned on the fans in the bedroom for comfort and laid down to cry.  I remember screaming at myself, “come on you fucking baby do it, just do it” through hysterical tears and I started taking pills.  Handful after handful of prescription medication prescribed for anxiety and pain, and whatever other reasons doctors and I could come up with.  And I laid down to die.  I finally felt at peace for the first time in what seemed like forever, the pain was going to end.  The agony in my brain was going to stop.  I remember almost smiling through my tears.

Don’t think for a second I didn’t know what I was about to do to the people around me.  I had been thinking about suicide for weeks.  No one just decides to take their own life on a whim.  Shit I’d been writing about it even.  This action takes thought, planning, and courage.  Unbelievable courage.  It is not easy to cross that final line and actually do it.  You think it’s easy to say, “This will be my last day”.  Trust me, it’s not.  Living is hard, deciding to die, just as hard.  Realizing you are going to take your last breath, not easy.  Why do you think when people have the choice to do something horrible to someone else or die they choose to do something horrible to someone else, because dying, the thought of it, is too hard, too final. 

All you do leading up to something like this, least all I did, was think about everyone else and what I would be doing to them.  The guilt is all you feel besides your own internal pain.  Even though I was in such pain I wasn’t sure I could take it anymore either physically or mentally, I was thinking of everyone around me and what my actions were going to do to them.  I knew what I was about to do to the people I loved and who loved me.  I am not at idiot.  I was even thinking of the pain I would cause those around me that I wasn’t friends with and how they would feel, there was guilt there too.  This was not an “I will show them moment” as I thought it might be.  It was an “I hope they don’t blame themselves in any way” moment.  I had empathy even for those I wasn’t friends with.  Imagine what I was feeling for those I loved? 

For days I had been thinking of my husband and the pain he would have to endure.  I won’t lie to you, it wasn’t hard for me to think how much easier his life would be without Bi Polar in it.  He’s so wonderful someone would love him again, sooner than later.

I thought of my kids and if they knew what I did how they would undoubtedly feel some responsibility, like they weren’t good enough, to keep me alive.  I had already made sure Dan knew in a fit of tears one day that if I ever died that the kids should always be told, no matter what, that it was a car accident.  They never had to know differently. 

My best friend was one of the hardest to think about because she had just tried hard to see me, only the day before, and I rejected her attempts.  I was in such pain seeing her face, feeling her hug, would only bring it all to the surface and I couldn’t handle any more pain.  I had to turn her away.  Little did I know the very next day the pain would be worse either way?  Perhaps had I let her come the pain would have surfaced enough for us to have taken some sort of medical action before it was too late.  We will never know because I didn’t let her see me.  So I knew the guilt was going to eat at her for that but I also knew she knew my pain.  I knew she heard it in my voice.  It was worrying her enough for her to call, she’d find a place of acceptance eventually.  She knew in my voice the agony I was experiencing.  I knew she knew. 

I thought of my brother and how much guilt he would feel because it’s what he and I do, we are innately people who feel guilt, for everything and everyone.  I only hoped that my actions would kick him into taking life by the balls instead of watching it pass him by. 

I thought of a friend so far away that I wasn’t sure how she would handle it feeling she was helpless to help me from afar.  I worried about her heart.  She’s had enough pain this past year. 

I thought of a girl that is like my little adopted sister and her perfect baby and how she would endure yet another female loss in her life and how unfair that would be.  And I was the one doing it.  I only prayed she’d forgive me my disease.

My parents.  We haven’t always seen eye to eye but they did the best they could with the skills they had.  What would this make them feel about themselves?  Could I do that to them?

And finally, if you can believe it, I thought of my dog and I hoped and prayed through my tears that he would understand how much I loved him and my leaving had nothing to do with him.  I hoped somehow he wouldn’t be hurt. 

You think of all this, you do while you are in inexplicable pain.  You try to weigh the options.  Do you hurt more than they will?  Can you justify this?  Will someone help you if you don’t do this?  Can anyone help you?  It’s hopeless.  It’s hopeless.  It’s hopeless.

And you commit suicide.  Or in my case, attempt it.

I was lucky.  I am still here.  Alive, talking to you.  I am so blessed I cannot begin to tell you how blessed I am.  I made it.  So many are not so lucky.  Sympathize with them, they hurt more than you can ever imagine.  Don’t be angry with them, they couldn’t endure their pain, a pain you’ve never had to experience.  Understand, forgive, honor their memory knowing they fought as long as they could.  Please do this for me, do this for yourself, do this for them.  I have never experienced anything like this to be able to say to you that you cannot begin to imagine the pain and strength this action takes.  It’s not easy.  Pity them if you must.  It’s better than hating them for something they couldn’t stop.

I will tell you more about this journey in my next entry.  This is enough for one day for me.  I am still recovering.

Diary of a Bi Polar Woman and Girl Ranting will now continue because I am here to do so, I am blessed to be able to.  I won’t write every day as an obligation anymore but on days when I have something to say as my gift to myself.  And I have more to say.  I have a journey of a week that changed my life in more ways than I knew possible.

Mental illness is a disease that is winning.  It is taking too many lives, too many souls.  There is more to be said.  Every time you see someone on the streets who is drunk or high, homeless or angry and alone, wonder if we failed them.  If as a city, a province, a country, we failed them.  If they are self-soothing with whatever they can get their hands on because they system couldn’t help them.  Least I got help.  I am blessed to be here today.  Truly blessed.
 
If something like this is on your mind please go to your local hospital.  They have the facilities to take over, to take control of you, to get your medicine under control and help you feel less helpless, less lost.   There are options for you out there you just don't know about them.  Please, do this for yourself, value yourself enough to seek help.

Be grateful for everything today, every little thing.  It’s all that matters.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment