Thursday, October 2, 2014

Who, what, where and how do we define "mental illness" and responsibilty....

I’m struggling as of late to make sense of mental illness in this world.  I thought I would take on an easy topic to think about and ponder.  *rolls her eyes*  “I couldn’t just think about puppies and kittens”, she says to herself.  If you’ve been watching the news at all then you might have heard about the two stories directly relating to mental illness I am going to talk about here. 

On one side there was a man so ill that he lit himself on fire, literally burned himself to death, and on the far other side of the spectrum, a man charged with the most horrific murder I’ve heard of since, well, a long time.  My struggle will become clearer as I write, I think.  I can’t be sure of that as I am still struggling with my thoughts. 

We cannot fathom what kind of things were going through 31 year old Cole Hunter’s mind to make him think lighting himself on fire rational way to end pain.  There is nothing rational about the action he took.  I mean it’s not rational in the first place to want to die.  That’s not a rational thought, that’s a mental illness thought.  Then to take an action that causes nothing but agonizing physical pain.  If you think about it, logically, without emotion, there are many other ways to die, a lot less painful ways.  Perhaps he was trying to kill those things in his mind, only he could see and hear.  Apparently this man suffered from schizophrenia.  He often found himself battling with voices and images that no one else saw (see his funeral notice).  Imagine not just battling with someone human, standing there in front of you, perhaps someone you can have an intelligent argument with, but with someone your mind has made up.  There is no winning, no rationalizing with that.  That’s just a broken mind torturing a soul.  I can only assume that, like many of us, when we argue with ourselves, we rarely win.  He lived this way full time, all the time.  Poor soul.
Cole Hunter

I think we can all find pity with this man.  In so much pain he chose that way out.

Now think of Luka Magnotta.  This 32 year old man, apparently planned a murder.  He then acted on that plan murdering a young man.  He dismembered the body of his victim performing sexual acts on the body parts.  He fed parts of the body to his dog, and apparently killed his dog.  He then cleaned up, and disposed of the body parts.  Some of the body parts he mailed across Canada to various people.  He planned and made his escape to Europe.  He was caught and brought back to trial in Canada.  It's surreal to just type all that. 
Cole, who lit himself on fire was a poor lost soul.  Luka is a horrible monster don’t you think?  Luka killed another human being, not himself.  He did things that no one can comprehend doing.  He should be put down like a rabid animal don’t you think?  I have thought so, I do think so.  And then....

What’s the same here, between two human beings, is the improper functioning of their brains?  Neither one functioned right.  The guy who lit himself on fire to die was surely not sane.  I pity him.  There is no other way to look at it.  But how is the guy who murdered someone, dismembered the body, saved the body parts, had sex with the body parts, sane?  I don’t pity him.  I want him punished.  Could this man be sane and do those things?  Or does he deserve pity for being that sick?  That’s what I am struggling with.  I have no pity for him, none.  The other day I said to my husband, “I don’t care if he is mentally ill, this is sick sh*t, he deserves the death penalty”. 

If we can’t even remotely fathom doing the things he did then doesn’t that make him the sickest of us all?

Then we bring ourselves to the question of what to do with someone like Luka Magnotta.  He has admitted to all he has been charged with.  All of it.  At the same time he is claiming he is not guilty of all the charges because of his mental illness.  Does that mean because he is insane he should not be held accountable for his actions.  I am?  I am held accountable aren’t I?  Even morally, I hold myself accountable to my own actions.  If I suddenly, if all people who suffer with mental illness suddenly started thinking we could do anything at any time because of our illness…*shudder*.  I can’t even begin to think how the world would change. 

I don’t believe for one second that Luka Magnotta should be released.  He is dangerous, end of story.  Should he be sent to a mental institution for life?  I just left one of those places and I have to say that I would not want to be on the same floor as him, let alone the same institution.  How would that be fair to non-dangerous people who are sick?  I go in for medication changes and some intensive therapy and I end up rooming next to someone who can dismember another human being?  Wouldn’t that be a violation of my rights for a reasonable expectation of safe care and treatment? 

Should he be sent to prison?  He did commit a crime.  Can he get treatment inside of prison?  Do we do that inside of prison?  If you go into prison with flu, I am pretty sure you can get treatment for the flu.  If you go into prison with a mental illness, can you get treatment for that illness?  I am not sure this happens.  Not effectively.  Please do not get me wrong.  I do not believe that this man deserves treatment and then a release back into the world.  As I said already, he did things, no one can even imagine doing.  I am just saying it’s painfully obvious he was/is, sick. You’d have to be wouldn’t you?  To do this?  I would hope so otherwise what does this say about the human race?

So where do we draw this line?  How do we draw this line?  Make sure the sick are getting treatment yet fairly and justly punished for their crimes.  If someone goes into a school and mass murders young children is this person not insane?  No sane person could do that right?  I cannot bring myself to think of them as sane as sane people do NOT do those things.  So what do we do with these people?  They are sick.  But what they have done is unforgiveable.  Then what?  It would make it so much easier if they just took their own lives instead of hurting others wouldn’t it?  Had Luka Magnotta taken his own life instead of doing all this to another human being we would be saying “poor lost soul” wouldn't we?  But he didn’t.  He committed grossly inhumane acts instead.  It sure would be easier if every person who hurt another at least then hurt themselves as punishment for their own bad behaviour.  When the headlines read “murdered then used the last bullet on themselves” we sigh relief.  We will not have to judge. 

When I was in the hospital there were people suffering with schizophrenia in there.  Please note I am trying not to use the defining term of “schizophrenic”.  They are people too.  Like my being beyond just white skinned, blond hair, with green eyes.  I have many other traits.  Having Bi Polar is just one of many.  In their case, they suffer with schizophrenia.   I was scared of these people at first.  I won’t lie.  From my observations, they typically, while their medications are being rebalanced, have little to no interpersonal skills.  Almost always they pace the hallways.  I think because of the voices they cannot stop moving, they need to keep active to try to distract themselves.  I came to learn that most people suffering with schizophrenia are harmless, with no intent to harm.  Many times they harm people only because they become paranoid about being harmed themselves and act out defensively.   I find it hard to believe Luka Magnotta’s actions were in defense of himself?  Or these mass murderers in the schools were defending themselves?  But it is factual that in most cases people with schizophrenia strike out, lash out, in perceived defense of themselves. 

I became somewhat friendly with two people suffering with schizophrenia in the hospital.  One a pretty young woman who also suffered with multiple personalities disorder.  And another, a young man.  When I say friendly I mean saying “hello” and the occasional short conversations in passing.  Both of these people were very sick when I arrived in hospital.  The young woman, let’s name her “Jane”, had outbursts where she would yell at no one sometimes.  But she didn’t seem like she was going to hurt anyone.  She was fighting with someone, or something, we couldn’t see.  When I first arrived I actually called my husband and said, “there’s a woman here talking to herself as if she was on the phone having a lively conversation, but there is no phone”.  I was making light of her illness because I was scared of her, of it, the illness and her behaviour due to it.  We often make light of which we don’t understand, which in most cases means we are scared. 

The young man, “John” we will call him, was not socially interactive whatsoever until near the end of my stay.  By the time I left he knew my name and we would always stop and check in with each other about how our days were going.  I once walked out of my room only to find him lying on the floor, just outside my door, arms linked behind his head casually looking at the ceiling.  I asked, “Whatcha doin’?”  “Thinking“, he replied innocently as if lying on a hospital floor and gazing at the tiled ceiling as if it were the sky was perfectly reasonable.  Another day I was telling a story about going to see a gospel choir and as I can do, I was being loud and boisterous in my telling of the story yelling out “Hallelujah, praise be, Amen”.  John walked into the room and said, “I needed those words today, Hallelujah sister”.  From then on, we passed each other in the hallways and said “Hallelujah brother” (and “sister”) to each other.  Others looked on strangely and we went our way as if this was completely natural.  It was, for us. 

Jane was a different story.  I tried to make a point of saying “Hi” to Jane as often as possible.  Sometimes she saw me and heard me, sometimes I wasn’t there and her voices were in charge.  Sometimes I think her personality at the time was not Jane, but in fact someone entirely different, someone else.  One day I came to be walking directly behind Jane on our way back to the hospital.  We walked for a good five minutes and in that time she spoke entirely in the third party, as if Jane wasn’t actually her.  The things she said to herself, that happened to Jane, that people did to Jane, why Jane was sick, ripped me in two.  If any one of the things she said were true, I can see entirely why she needed to create alternate personalities to deal with her pain.  On that day I became Jane’s biggest supporter.  After that, a day didn’t go by without my making eye contact and saying hello.  There were many days that Jane would dress up, put in hair extensions, wear makeup, and look very different than the day before.  Instead of saying “Hi Jane” on these days, not wanting to trigger her personality change, I would simply tell her how pretty she was.  In a very childlike voice more often than not, she would thank me and wander off. 
 
One evening as I was sitting in the lounge two patients broke into song.  They are both professional singers by trade so they were harmonizing with each other for fun.  Another patient was strumming the guitar.  It was all very civilized and not as random as it sounds.  I must say, I did find it interesting that “performers” were suffering with mental illness.  Those that look for outside affirmations through attention and praise for their performances.  Performances they put on solely to entertain others, to make others happy.  Makes sense they’d struggle with their identity doesn’t it?
 
But I have steered off course.  The beautiful singing caught Jane’s ear and she came into the lounge with the biggest smile on her face.  She made eye contact with me so I removed my knitting from the chair next to me and she sat down.  This is basically the conversation that followed.  (I use the word “hurt” here as substitution for another word which is too harsh a word in reality to use).

Jane:     It’s beautiful isn’t it? He said you wouldn’t make eye contact with me so you wouldn’t have to talk to me.

Me:        Who said Jane?

Jane:     My husband.  My husband said.

Me:        Is he here?

Jane:     He’s right there, next to your husband (no one was actually there).  
Jane:     They aren’t being very nice.  *laughs* They cheat you know.  On both of us.

Me:        My husband cheats, are you sure Jane?

Jane:     They both do, it’s what men do.  They don’t mean to hurt us, it’s just their way, it’s because they are sick.

Me:        I am sorry your husband cheated Jane, I don’t think mine does though.

Jane:     He does, you will see one day.  Just remember when he wants to hurt you it’s so he can transfer his pain to you.  He doesn’t mean to hurt you.

Me:        Jane, I am sorry your husband hurt you.

Jane:     It’s okay.  It’s why I am sick you know.  He was sick then he gave it to me.  He hurt me for 8 years until all his illness was inside me.  Now I am in here and he’s out there free.  I haven’t seen him since the last time he hurt me.  He doesn’t talk to me, see me, see our son *laughs*, he just left.  Funny huh?

Me:        Oh Jane honey, I am so sorry you’ve been hurt.

Jane:     Okay, I am gonna go now. (Suddenly her voice was very childlike and she almost skipped out of the room).

My breath caught in my throat as I watched her transform from a woman to child before my eyes.  My heart broke for her.

Upon reading about the Luka Magnotta trial I found myself wondering what I would think if I found out that either Jane or John hurt somebody?  Would I be surprised?  Would I pity them as I saw their illness first hand?  Would I want them punished, or cared for?  I guess it all depends on the heinousness of the crime and how much we know someone doesn’t it?  It’s all relative to us, what we think, our judgements of the situation and the person(s) involved, I guess?

What’s the difference between a weed and a plant?  Only the judgement we place upon it…
….(and if it’s invaded our personal space uninvited I suppose).




No comments:

Post a Comment